Poland’s arguably most successful rider, Tomasz Gollob, has refused to be drawn into commenting on his international future.
The 2010 world champion didn’t take part in any of the World Cup event this year. Gollob withdrew from the first event though injury but was reportedly fit for the final where team manager Marek Cieslak decided not to change his side.
Jaroslaw Hampel led Poland to their first World title since 2011, which takes their tally to six top place finishes in 13 years. Hampel was joined by fellow GP star Krzysztof Kasprzak, Maciej Janowski and rising star Patryk Dudek as the Pole’s won both of their events.
Many questioned whether Poland can win the title without the force that is Gollob, but the future of Polish speedway is looking strong with the emergence of Janoski and Dudek who both played key roles last week, and the likes of Bartosz Zmarzlik and the Pawlick brothers, Piotr and Przemyslaw, waiting in the wings.
Although Gollob missed out on a place in the four man team, he was delighted to see his Nation rise to the top once again. “Who said that without me, the team can not do it? said Gollob to przegladsportowy.pl. “The competition in Prague gave only a partial answer to this question, but it certainly made a step in the right direction. On Saturday, we had only one strong rival, the Danes, but this does not detract from the success. This is really something.”
Gollob’s future within the Polish national team is in some doubt after his snub for the final, but the man from Bydgoszcz will not discuss what the future lies for him in Cieslak’s team.
He added: “Do I ever have to come back to represent Poland? Let’s leave this topic alone, I’m not going to talk about it. I would not want my return rolled out in the media for the rest of the year. I’m currently focused on my performances in the league, Grand Prix and European Championship.”